Chrissy Murderbot started an incredibly cool mixtape blog back in June. He’s posting up a new mix every week, for 52 weeks or so, with 33 weeks to go. The mixes, selection, themes and commentary are all a lot of fun.
These are the ground rules he’s laid out for himself:
1) Every mix will (more or less) have a theme of some sort.
2) All mixes will be recorded live in one take (some post-production editing to get things down to a reasonable time).
3) No repeats—no song will pop up twice in his blog.
4) Likewise, no song that has previously appeared in a mix of his published on the web will pop up on his blog. Unless he gets really lazy one week and posts one of those mixes on his blog, which will probably happen at some point.
5) If it’s a live set (i.e. somebody recorded him DJing at some party and gave him the audio and he’s posting it there), then rules 3 & 4 are out the window.
6) Every mix will be timed to fit on either a CDR or a cassette tape.
7) He’s open to requests. He might not pay them any attention whatsoever, but then again he might.
Here are a few of my favorites from his project:
Chrissy Murderbot – Year of Mixtapes (Week 3: Bleep Tape)
Chrissy Murderbot – Year of Mixtapes (Week 5: New Jack Swing)
Chrissy Murderbot – Year of Mixtapes (Week 15: Belgian Rave, 1991)